Granola is a tasty and nutritious breakfast or snack option that can be enjoyed in so many ways. The best part is it’s easy to make at home and you can customize it to suit your taste preferences. However, finding a vegan granola recipe that is both healthy and delicious can be a challenge. In this post, I’ll be sharing the ultimate vegan granola recipe that you can make at home and enjoy every morning with smoothie bowls, fruit & milk or yogurt parfaits.
The beauty of homemade granola is that you can use your favourite mix-ins like nuts, seeds, dried fruit or even chocolate. In this recipe I stuck to my favourite ingredients that in my opinion make the BEST granola ever – oats, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, maple syrup or agave, pecans, pumpkin seeds, and cacao nibs.
The secret to perfect granola:
Making the granola is so easy. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats cinnamon and salt. Add the coconut oil and maple syrup and mix well. Spread into an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir to incorporate the more toasted outside parts. Add the pecans and pumpkin seeds at this time and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, mix in the cacao nibs and let cool before enjoying or storing. Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks (can also be stored in the freezer).
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different sweetener instead of maple syrup?
Yes, you can use any liquid sweetener you like such as agave, honey, or brown rice syrup. However, if you’re looking for a vegan option, make sure to use a plant-based sweetener. A thicker, stickier sweetener like agave will make the granola stick together in clusters, which some people prefer!
Can I use different nuts and seeds?
Yes, feel free to use any nuts and seeds you prefer or have on hand. Just make sure to keep the proportions similar to the recipe to ensure even cooking. I recommend almonds, walnuts, coconut flakes, cashews, dried fruit like cranberries or raisins, and hemp seeds.
You can also add different spices such as nutmeg, pumpkin spice, ginger or cardamom to change the flavour.
How do I store this granola?
Once the granola is completely cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, use certified gluten-free rolled oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can easily double or even triple this recipe to make a larger batch. Just make sure to use a larger baking sheet or bake the granola in two batches.
The Best Vegan Granola Recipe
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: approx 2 cups
This homemade vegan granola recipe uses simple, wholesome ingredients and is easy to make. Lightly golden and crisp, reminiscent of an oatmeal cookie. Enjoy a nutritious and satisfying breakfast every morning with this delicious vegan granola!
- 1 1/2 cups oats (I use quick oats)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (can sub chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add oats, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine. Add coconut oil and maple syrup and stir very well until combined and all oats are evenly coated.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet in a layer about 1/2 inch thick, smoothing it out with the back of a spoon and making the edges neat so no oats will burn or cook unevenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir to incorporate edges into the middle and then add the pecans and pumpkin seeds. Flatten into a layer again and bake for another 5-7 minutes until lightly golden but not brown.
- Remove from oven and add cacao nibs. If using chocolate chips instead, let it cool before adding so they don’t melt.
- Once cool, add to a glass jar or Tupperware and store at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes