KFC is known for its popular “Famous Bowl” that combines mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and crispy chicken all in one bowl. However, for those who follow a vegan lifestyle, this dish is off-limits. But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with a copycat vegan KFC bowl that is just as delicious and satisfying.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 3/4 – 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp paprika salt & pepper to tastePLUS:
- 2–1/2 cups broth for simmering
- oil for frying
- 2 russet potatoes washed, chopped and boiled.
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic pwder
- 1/4 tsp organo
- 1/4 spanish onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp cashew cream cheese (Optional)
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan gravy (Cooked according to package instructions)
- 2 tbsp green onion or chives chopped
- Whisk together seitan dry ingredients until combined. Add broth and stir until it forms a dough ball.
- Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots. Add rest of broth to instant pot. Rip off chunks of seitan and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk together breading ingredients. When seitan is done, toss in the breading mixture until coated.
- Heat a large frying pan with oil. When hot, add seitan and fry a few minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Remove from pan and plate into a paper towel-lined bowl to remove excess grease.
- In a medium pot over low heat, add the garlic and onion. Cook until onions are translucent and add the cooked and strained potatoes with the vegan butter, vegan cashew cream cheese, vegan cheese shreds and salt and pepper to taste. Mash the contents of the pot until desired consistency (I like them light and fluffy.)
- meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat mix your vegan gravy powder with water according to package instructions and simmer until desired consistency (I used Simply Organic).
- In another pan, quickly sear the frozen corn with paprika, garlic powder and oregano until slightly browned and thawed. Set aside.
- In a medium size dish, layer the potatoes, corn, gravy and vegan chicken. Garnish with green onion or chive and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30