Are you tired of boring vegan sandwiches that lack protein and flavor? Look no further than this high protein vegan “McChicken Sandwich” made with seitan!
The McDonald’s Chicken Sandwich is a beloved fast food classic. Featuring a crispy chicken patty on a soft bun with mayo, it’s hard to resist the satisfying crunch. Recently revamped to keep up with competitors, it remains a popular choice for fast food lovers.
- Seitan patty: The main ingredient in this vegan version of the McChicken sandwich, the seitan patty is made from wheat gluten and flavored with nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and soy sauce. It is then breaded and fried for a crispy texture.
- Soft bun: The bun should be soft and able to hold the sandwich together.
- Vegan mayonnaise: Adds a creamy texture and tangy flavor to the sandwich.
- Lettuce and tomato: Fresh vegetables to add some crunch and nutrition to the sandwich.
- Vegan cheese (optional): A slice of vegan cheese can be added for a more authentic fast food experience.
- Jackfruit: A meaty textured fruit to add a thicker texture to the seitan before frying in oil.
To learn More about the iconic Mcdonald’s McChicken Sandwich, find all the ingredients and fascinating history of the company here!
How to Make Vegan McDonald’s McChicken Sandwiches:
- Start by preparing your seitan patty. You can make your own by combining vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and vegetable broth in a bowl. Knead the dough for a few minutes, shape it into a patty, and then cook it in a pan or on a grill until it’s crispy and browned on the outside. If you prefer, you can also use a store-bought seitan patty.
- Toast your buns in a toaster or on a pan to warm them up.
- Spread a generous amount of vegan mayonnaise on the bottom bun.
- Add a layer of lettuce and tomato (optional) on top of the mayonnaise.
- Place the seitan patty on top of the vegetables.
- If using, add a slice of vegan cheese (optional) on top of the seitan patty.
- Top with the other half of the bun and serve immediately.
Not only is this sandwich delicious, but it’s also packed with protein. One serving of seitan contains around 25 grams of protein, which is more than a chicken breast. So next time you’re craving a protein-packed sandwich, give this vegan “McChicken” a try!
Meal Prep Instructions:
If you’re looking to make Vegan McDonald’s McChicken Sandwiches as a quick and easy meal option throughout the week, meal prepping is a great solution. Here’s how you can do it:
- Make a batch of seitan patties, either homemade or store-bought.
- Toast a few soft buns and let them cool down.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading vegan mayonnaise on the bottom bun, adding lettuce and tomato, placing the seitan patty on top, and adding a slice of vegan cheese if desired.
- Wrap each sandwich in parchment paper or aluminum foil and store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- When ready to eat, simply heat up the sandwich in the microwave or oven for a few minutes until it’s warm and crispy.
By meal prepping your Vegan McDonald’s McChicken Sandwiches, you can have a quick and easy meal ready to go whenever hunger strikes.
Q: Can I make the seitan patty ahead of time?
A: Yes! You can make the seitan patty ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to use it. To reheat, simply cook it in a pan or in the oven until it’s crispy and warmed through.
Q: Can I use a different type of protein besides seitan?
A: Absolutely! You can use a plant-based chicken alternative, such as soy or pea protein-based products, or even tofu or tempeh if you prefer. Just make sure to flavor it well with seasonings before cooking.
Q: How can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A: If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free alternative to seitan, such as chickpea flour or a gluten-free meat alternative.
Q: Can I add other toppings to the sandwich?
A: Yes! Feel free to add any other toppings you enjoy, such as avocado, onion, or hot sauce. Customize the sandwich to your liking.
Q: Can I make this recipe oil-free?
A: Yes! You can skip the breading and frying step for the seitan patty and instead bake it in the oven for a healthier, oil-free option.
Similar Vegan Copycat Recipes To Try:
- Copycat McDonald’s Hash Browns
- Copycat Vegan Chicken Big Mac
- Copycat Vegan Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Copycat Taco Bell Nacho Fries
- copycat Hardee’s Biscuits