The McDonald’s Chicken Sandwich is a beloved fast food classic. Featuring a crispy chicken patty on a soft bun with mayo, it’s hard to resist the satisfying crunch. Recently revamped to keep up with competitors, it remains a popular choice for fast food lovers. This version uses a crispy seitan chicken patty iced with jackfruit, and topped with a vegan mayo and crunchy shredded lettuce make for the perfect low calorie, high protein lunch!
For the sandwich:
- 6 fresh hamburger buns
- 1 cup finely chopped lettuce
- 6 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- OPTIONAL – 6 slices vegan American cheddar slices (I used Violife)
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup plain shredded jackfruit
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes
- 1 tbsp paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups broth for simmering or pressure cooking (Instant Pot)
- oil for frying
Make the Fried Chicken:
- Whisk together seitan dry ingredients and jackfruit until combined. Add the 1 cup of broth and stir until it forms a dough ball. Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add rest of broth to instant pot. Rip into 5-6 equal chunks of seitan and flatten into a “chicken breast” shape (it’s okay if they look small as they expand when cooked quite a bit!). Add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam. *** if you don’t have an instant pot, steam the seitan patties by the same method in a shallow pan or pot for 35-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together breading ingredients.
- Remove seitan from pot and dip in breading mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Heat a large frying pan with a good amount of oil. When hot, add seitan and fry a few minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Remove from pan and plate into a paper towel-lined bowl to remove excess grease. Repeat with remaining pieces. *** for lower calorie option, air fry with spray oil until crispy on the edges.
- Assemble the sandwich with 1 tbsp of vegan mayonnaise, fresh buns, and lettuce. Enjoy!