A fluffy, pillowy soft, sweet, twisted bread loaf swirled with Christmas jam.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3/4 cup Christmas Jam or jam of choice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp clementine zest or orange zest
- In a small pot, melt the butter and then add the milk and water. Warm the mixture until it’s just warm to the touch/lukewarm. Whisk in the yeast and sugar until dissolved. Add the salt.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment on.
- Slowly add the flour with the mixer on low speed mixing continuously. I like to add it about 1 cup at a time, letting it mix in before adding more, just to stop the flour from poofing everywhere. Once all the flour has been added, continue to knead for about 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth and pulling away from the sides of the bowl, and not too sticky to the touch.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and gather the dough into a ball in the center of the bowl (just pull it away from the sides of the bowl so it’s not stuck to the sides). Place a clean tea towel overtop of the bowl and then add a cookbook or sheet pan on top – I find this helps it rise better. Leave it on the countertop in a draft-free area for 1 hour to rise.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan or cake pan (or line with parchment paper).
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position, then preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pan and towel off the bowl and give the dough a punch right in the middle to deflate it.
- Roll it out into a rectangle about 18 inches wide by 14 inches tall.
- Spread jam evenly on top. Tightly roll up the dough from bottom to top, tugging it up and over to tightly contain the filling. Place the log on its seam, then using a sharp knife, slice it in half lengthwise down the middle.
- Criss-cross one half on top of the other. Twist the two together, then starting at one end, coil into a spiral. Carefully transfer to your prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until it is a deep golden brown on top, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 30-45 minutes (if you attempt to slice when it is still warm it might squish down too much.
- To make the glaze, simply whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the bread just before serving.