Layers of sweet blueberry jam and vegan cheesecake sauce in a giant stack of French toast, made 100% plant-based!
- 1/3 block firm tofu
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
Stacked French Toast:
- 8 pieces of bread
- 8 tbsp blueberry jam
- 4 tbsp cashew cheesecake sauce (recipe below)
- oil for frying
- vegan butter and maple syrup for serving
Cashew Cheesecake Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Make the cheesecake sauce: to a high speed blender like a vitamix or powerful food processor, add cashew cheesecake sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. See note for blending smooth.
- Make the batter: add the tofu, plant-based milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour batter into a shallow bowl.
- Make the French Toast: On one slice of bread, spread 2 tbsp blueberry jam. Add another piece on top. Add 2 tbsp cashew cheesecake sauce. Add another piece on top and spread 2 tbsp of blueberry jam. Add the last piece of bread and press down slightly. Cut the crusts off to make a perfect square if you like. Repeat with other stack.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add some oil. Carefully dip the stack of bread into the batter, then quickly dip all other sides. Allow any excess to drip off, then place in the pan. Cook a few minutes per side until golden brown. Repeat with other stack. Sometimes it can be a bit slippery due to all the layers so when standing it up on its side to brown the sides, I use two spatulas to hold it in place!
- Slice stacks in half to make 2 triangles. Serve with extra cheesecake sauce, butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!
For the smoothest cashew cheesecake sauce, follow these tips:
- Use a high speed blender like a vitamix.
- Soak the cashews for 4 hours up to overnight OR boil for 10 minutes.
- If your blender jug or food processor is very large you might need to double the sauce recipe so there is enough volume to blend, otherwise it can just stick to the sides and not actually blend. One of my vitamix jugs has this problem because it is so wide and large at the base!
Leftover batter: store in the fridge in an airtight container up to 4 days to have quick and easy French toast all week!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes