These Copycat Hardee’s Biscuits are made with all vegan ingredients and baked to perfection for an even better version of the iconic biscuits you already know and love! Flaky crumbs, chewy inside and a perfectly crisp exterior paired with your favourite vegan sausage patty.
For the Biscuits
- 1 cup unsweetened original nondairy milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (1 stick)
- (Optional) Vegan Breakfast sausage patties
For the sauce (Optional)
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or a food processor, add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- If using a food processor: Add butter and pulse until incorporated into a crumbly, dry mixture.
If using a knife or grater: Cut butter into very small pieces. Mix with the flour by hand or with a pastry blender until incorporated into a crumbly, dry mixture.
- Add the buttermilk, reserving about 1 tbsp of it to brush the tops. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface, using your hands to form a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 4 sections, then stack them on top of each other and press down to squish them together (this is how you get nice flaky layers!)
- Use hands to form a rectangle about 1-inch thick, then cup out biscuit shapes with a cookie cutter or glass.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the reserved buttermilk. Bake 12 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge up to 4 days.
If making the Hardee’s sausage breakfast sandwich, cook your favourite vegan breakfast sausage patties according to box instructions.