I have had this lingering hope of making really good vegan french toast for years. Sadly, I have been disappointed a lot in my trials of trying to find an easy recipe that made convincing french toast. BUT today is a happy day because this recipe is absolutely amazing! It makes the perfect french toast with crispy golden edges and a soft but not soggy centre.
For the Batter:
- 1/2 block firm tofu (approx 6 oz.)
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp vanilla (I like a lot of vanilla)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the French Toast:
- Vegan butter for frying
- 8 thick slices of your favourite bread
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Berries (optional)
- Start by making the batter: add the tofu, plant-based milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into a shallow bowl.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add some vegan butter. When it starts to sizzle, dip a slice of bread into the batter, then quickly dip the other side. Allow any excess to drip off, then place in the pan. Cook a few minutes per side until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Top with berries, powdered sugar and maple syrup (if desired!).
Tip: the batter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This is great if you want to have french toast throughout the week (this way you don’t have to make the batter every time!).