A super quick weeknight pasta recipe for mushroom lovers. Creamy balsamic sauce with fresh mushrooms, herbs and bowtie pasta.
- 2 cups dry bowtie pasta or other small pasta shape
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 227 g cremini mushrooms, sliced (this is one 8 oz package)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk, vegan cream or coconut milk (I used Earth’s Own oat cream)
- 3/4 cup reserved pasta water (see directions)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- optional: 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions (about 10 mins), then just before draining, reserve 3/4 cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, In a pot or large frying pan, add 2 tbsp vegan butter, onion and garlic and fry about 2 minutes, until onion starts to become translucent. Add mushrooms and fry about 2 more minutes, until mushrooms have softened. Add the balsamic vinegar, thyme, basil and parsley and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add 2 tbsp vegan butter and once melted, sprinkle flour overtop and stir immediately to coat. Slowly add the cream/nondairy milk, stirring as you go so it thickens.
- Add the pasta water as needed to thin the sauce. If using the cream cheese, add now and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of black pepper. I also added some pea shoots that we had to use up, and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Add whatever garnish you like! Enjoy.