Peppery paprika-rubbed seitan “chicken”, grilled and served with fresh corn on the cob and a cool ranch dip to balance it all out.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 bamboo skewers
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried ground sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ranch Dip (see notes):
- 1 cup raw cashews (or sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 4 cobs of corn, husked, then halved
- vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together seitan dry ingredients until combined. Add 1 cup broth and stir until it forms a dough ball.
- Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add 3 cups of broth to instant pot. Divide seitan into 16 chunks and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk together paprika rub ingredients. When seitan is done, drain and let dry a few minutes. Toss in the mixture until coated. Skewer 4 pieces of seitan onto each bamboo skewer.
- In a high speed blender, blend all ranch ingredients except for the green onion, until smooth. Pour into a serving dish, add the green onion and stir to combine.
- Grill: You can either BBQ the seitan until desired crispness, or you can use a frying pan or panini press to sear it and get a nice crispy coating/grill marks. It is already fully cooked, so you can get creative with how to want to “grill” it.
- Corn: Boil in a large pot for about 8 minutes or until cooked. Drain. Serve with vegan butter and salt and pepper.
- Serve! Each serving gets a skewer, two halves of corn and as much ranch as you like :).
If you don’t have a high speed blender or food processor, simply boil the cashews for 10 minutes to soften them before blending so they blend easier.