Homemade vegan honeycomb/sponge toffee. Super easy and absolutely delicious!
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or corn syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set next to the stove. Get a whisk and set it next to the stove as well.
- In a medium sized heavy-bottom pot, add the sugar, maple syrup and water and stir to combine.
- Place on stove on medium heat and use a spatula or large spoon to stir as it heats to dissolve the sugar completely. You want to stir it to help dissolve the sugar as it heats up (but don’t bring it to a boil or simmer yet), and once the sugar is dissolved, stop stirring completely and don’t touch it.
- Once sugar has dissolved and mixture is a clear brown, increase heat to medium high and bring sugar to a boil/simmer. It will expand and bubble up, but should only bubble up to a certain point and not keep bubbling higher in the pot. If you think it is bubbling too much, decrease heat slightly.
- Let it bubble away for about 7-9 minutes (set a timer) until the bubbling mixture has turned from a light colour to an amber colour.
- Remove from the heat, add the baking soda and whisk quickly to combine, but only until just combined, then use spatula to pour out onto the prepared baking sheet. You will need to work quickly as it begins to harden immediately.
- Let sit about 15 minutes to cool, then break apart with your hands and enjoy! You can leave it plain or dip/drizzle in chocolate for a homemade crunchie bar taste.
- *** CLEANING TIP *** soak the pot, whisk and spatula in hot water to dissolve the sugar. It will clean off easily using very hot water!