Chocolate and vanilla ice cream bars swirled with edible cookie dough, dipped in crackly chocolate shell.
- 1 pint vegan vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint vegan chocolate icecream
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Line an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the cookie dough: In a mixing bowl, cream together vegan margarine and brown sugar. Add almond milk and vanilla and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add dry mixture to wet in two parts, stirring to form a dough. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Remove the pints of ice cream from the freezer and let thaw slightly so they are softer and easier to mix. Add ice cream and cookie dough to a large mixing bowl and swirl together until just combined (you want lots of swirls and pockets of cookie dough throughout).
- Spread into prepared baking dish and smooth in an even layer. Freeze about 6 hours, until firm enough to remove from the pan in one piece.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove bars from the pan and cut bars into 8 or 10 pieces (depending how big you want each bar). Insert a popsicle stick into each bar, and place on the sheet pan. Freeze until frozen solid, I freeze them overnight and then dip the next day.
- Make the chocolate shell: in a pot on medium heat, add the coconut oil and chocolate chips and heat, stirring constantly until melted. Pour into a heat-proof mug or glass.
- Dip each bar half or fully into the chocolate shell, letting the excess drip off, then place back on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with all the bars, then freeze again (ideally overnight) until frozen solid. You can then remove the bars from the pan and place into a large container to store in the freezer for easy access.