These Chocolate Cookie Dough Swirl Vegan Ice Cream Bars are the cold summer treat you will love having stocked in your freezer! These fully dairy-free, vegan ice cream bars are mix of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, swirled with edible cookie dough and dipped in a crackly chocolate shell. These bars are addicting (you have been warned) and the perfect sweet treat to cool off on hot summer days. Bonus, they’re also SUPER easy to make! Sure, they are a tad time consuming, but once they’re made, you will be so happy to pop open your freezer and grab one when the craving hits.
It’s no secret I am a cookie dough girl. I love making cookies solely to eat the dough, and any time we went for ice cream as kids I chose cookie dough. Every time! So these bars are truly a dream come true, and much cheaper than store bought vegan ice cream bars, which are crazy pricey for small little bars.
How to make these Chocolate Cookie Dough Swirl Vegan Ice Cream Bars
The good news about this recipe is that the most time consuming part is completely hands off. You need to freeze these bars overnight twice to really make sure they are stuck to the stick and won’t fall off while eating.
But the actual steps to make them are super straight forward, and I’ll lay it all out here so you can see for yourself!
- Make a half batch of my famous cookie dough. This is my tried and true favourite recipe, and you can sub a gluten-free flour baking blend if you want these to be gluten-free. Do steps 1 and 2 in the morning so they can freeze all day.
- In a mixing bowl, swirl together the chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream and cookie dough. Don’t over mix! You want to see all the separate components and pockets of cookie dough, that’s what makes them so delicious!
- Smooth mixture into your 8 x 8 inch square baking dish and freeze for about 6 hours. You don’t want it frozen solid, but it needs to be solid enough to cut into bars and stick the popsicle sticks in. If you can remove the slab of ice cream easily in one piece, you’re good to go.
- Cut into bars and stick a popsicle stick in each one. Freeze overnight.
- Melt together the dairy-free chocolate and coconut oil. Place in a mug or glass and dip each bar in the chocolate, letting the excess drip off, and then place on a parchment lined tray. Repeat, then freeze again until solid (I recommend overnight).
That’s it! Like I said, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze so you can enjoy them. But once they’re done, you will have ice cream bars at the ready for any time a craving strikes.