A copycat version of Starbucks’ new fall drink: oat milk, brewed espresso, apple brown sugar syrup, and spiced apple caramel drizzle. Served hot or iced! Both versions are below.
Apple Brown Sugar Syrup:
- 8 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (or homemade unsweetened apple puree)
Spiced Apple Caramel Drizzle:
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegan cream (I used Earth’s Own oat cream)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, chopped into small chunks
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (or homemade unsweetened apple puree)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
For the Drinks:
- 1 double shot of espresso OR 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup oat milk (based on personal preference)
- 1 cup ice cubes (only for iced version)
- Make the apple brown sugar syrup: in a small pot on medium-high heat, add the brown sugar, water, cinnamon and applesauce and bring to a boil. Simmer 2-3 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and set aside. Store in a jar or airtight container in the fridge for 1 week.
- Make the spiced apple caramel drizzle: In a medium pot on medium-high heat, add sugar and water, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a low boil/simmer for about 8 minutes until it becomes a deep amber colour. You can swirl the pot occasionally but don’t stir vigourously. Once amber, remove pot from heat. Wait about a minute, then add the vegan cream and butter (stand back! It might sputter at first!). Reduce heat setting to low, add the applesauce and spices and stir until smooth (mixture will likely still bubble). Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
For the iced version:
- Brew the espresso shot. Add 2 tbsp of apple brown sugar syrup and stir to combine.
- Fill your glass with ice cubes. Add the milk, then pour the espresso overtop. Drizzle on a few tbsp of the spiced apple caramel drizzle in a criss cross pattern. Enjoy!
For the hot version:
- Brew a shot of espresso into your mug. Add 2 tbsp apple brown sugar syrup and stir to combine.
- Heat or froth your milk with a steam wand, frother, or in a pot on the stove. Add to your mug. Top with a few spoonfuls of spiced apple caramel drizzle in a crisscross pattern. Enjoy!
This recipe makes enough syrup and drizzle for a few drinks. Store in the fridge for up to a week so you can make this drink quickly every morning!