Super simple fluffy vegan banana muffins dotted with chocolate chips, layered with a crunchy buttery cinnamon topping.
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (I used half all-purpose and half spelt)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
Crunchy Cinnamon Topping:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter, sugar, milk and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and stir well to form a thick batter. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Make the crunchy cinnamon topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients and use a pastry blender, fork or two butter knives to cut into it until it makes a crumbly mixture.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of topping to each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly in the muffin tin, before serving warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or in the fridge up to 5 days.