Smooth & velvety vanilla buttercreams dipped in chocolate – completely dairy-free!
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, room temp
- 150 mL sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups powdered sugar (see directions)
- 16 ounces (454g) dairy-free chocolate, finely chopped (or if using chocolate chips, no need to chop)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Vanilla Creams: In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, use a hand mixer or paddle of a stand mixer to combine the vegan butter, condensed milk and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time, beating to incorporate. If you have added 3 1/2 cups and it is too soft to roll into balls, add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. If it is still to soft to roll, refrigerate a few hours until firm enough.
- Roll 2 tbsp of batter into a ball, then flatten into a disc shape about 1/2 inch thick. Place on the parchment-lined baking tray and repeat with the rest of the dough. You don’t need to leave much space in between the discs, so you should be able to fit them all on the one pan.
- Freeze for 1 hour, until frozen.
- Chocolate: this is a quick version of how to temper chocolate in the microwave from this blog post. Read the post if you want more information on tempering chocolate, or just follow the instructions below for the perfect melted chocolate for dipping:
- Put 2/3 of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt at 50% power in 1-minute intervals, stirring between each interval, just until melted and smooth.
- Add the remaining 1/3 of the chocolate a few tablespoons at a time, while stirring. Make sure that the pieces are completely melted before adding more.
- The chocolate will thicken and become cool, shiny, and smooth as you continue stirring and adding small amounts. Once all the chocolate is melted in, you’re ready to dip!
- Dipping: Remove the pan from the freezer. Drop a vanilla cream into the chocolate, then use a fork to flip it over and ensure it is coated. Bring it up out of the chocolate, letting the excess drip through the fork, then transfer carefully to the baking tray. It will start to harden and become shiny pretty quickly. Keep dipping all of the chocolate.
- Transfer the dipped chocolates to the fridge to harden completely, then store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.