Vegan shepherd’s pie with a creamy sweet potato mash topping!
Sweet Potato Topping:
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp nondairy milk
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400g (approx) vegan ground beef
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups mixed small veggies like peas, corn and carrots
- 1 cup vegetarian beef-flavoured broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- Boil the sweet potatoes until fork-tender, then drain. Mash with the vegan butter and nondairy milk until fluffy. Set aside.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil, onion and vegan beef. Cook about 8 minutes, until vegan beef is browned and onion is translucent. Add the veggies, broth, tomato paste, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once simmering, add the corn starch and water mixture and let simmer until thickened slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a large casserole dish (or I used an 11-inch cast iron skillet).
- Transfer the filling to the casserole dish, then add dollops of the sweet potato mash, smoothing into an even layer. Use a fork to create grooves on top. If the baking dish looks very full, place it on a rimmed baking sheet so that if the filling bubbles over it doesn’t spill into your oven.
Bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and top is lightly browned.
Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!