This spicy lemon dill rigatoni is creamy, completely dairy-free, a little spicy, yet fresh and springy thanks to fresh lemon and dill!
- 200g rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 400 mL can of coconut milk
- 100 mL water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (you can always add more at the end once you taste it)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch (I really recommend using tapioca starch for that stretchy, cheesy look and feel, but you can sub corn starch or flour, see notes below)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a deep frying pan on medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, shallots and chilli flakes. Fry a few minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add the coconut milk, water, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and stir.
- Add the drained pasta, nutritional yeast and lemon juice and stir to combine. Add the tapioca starch 1 tbsp at a time, stirring to dissolve. Bring to a simmer and the sauce will thicken quickly so stir frequently and remove from heat once it has thickened to your liking.
- Add the fresh dill and serve. I like to garnish with extra chilli flakes and dill.
If subbing corn starch: mix 2 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp water. Add into the sauce before adding the pasta and let sauce start to thicken before adding in cooked pasta.
If subbing flour: add 2 tbsp flour to the pan just before pouring in the coconut milk mixture in step and stir to coat the onion and garlic. Let cook a minute or two, then slowly add the coconut milk a bit at a time, mixing and letting it thicken as you go.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes