This Cheesy Vegan Italian Meatball Sub is packed to the brim with flavour, meaty texture and gooey stretchy cheese all layered on a fresh sub bun for the perfect punch of Italian flavour!
For the meatballs
- 5 small store-bought or homemade meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 jar of store-bought marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp parsley
For the bun
- 1 store bought fresh sub bun
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, add your vegan meatballs to a frying pan with a drizzle of oil. Cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the white onion, garlic and salt & pepper. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are translucent.
- Lower heat to low-medium. Add marinara and let simmer 5 minutes until the meatballs are well coated and heated throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the microwave, melt the butter in a small bowl with garlic and chives. Brush the bun thoroughly with butter mixture. Set aside.
- To a small pot over medium heat, add the plant-based milk, vegan cheese and parsley. Continue to stir rapidly until cheese is fully melted and no chunks remain. Stir periodically to keep from setting.
- On the bun, begin to layer on the meatballs, marinara sauce, and vegan cheese. Place into preheated oven for 7-8 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and bun is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10