Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
I always loved the combination of chocolate and banana. This loaf is decadent and chocolatey and has the perfect banana bread texture.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1–3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (or more) dairy free chocolate chips
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together ground flax and water in a small dish and set aside. Mash bananas.
- Cream together vegan butter and brown sugar. Add mashed bananas and stir to combine. Add flax egg and almond milk and stir to combine.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Add to wet mixture and stir to form a batter.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool before slicing (otherwise it can crumble while you slice it). Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
That looks delicious and I am going to try it out.
can you use chia seeds instead of flax meal? 🙂
I made this with Chia seeds instead of the flax meal and it turned out great. Usually I don’t like flax seeds because it leaves a slight aftertaste to the dish so I tried a chia seeds with water as the egg alternative and it was perfect because there was no aftertaste with it. There was a very slight crunch occasionally from the chia seeds when eating the dessert but it was barely noticeable and didn’t bother me at all and only happened every few bites or so.
made it today and my non vegan family LOVED it!!!!!! mine only took 45 minutes and it is perfectly cooked. thanks liv for your awesome recipes as always
This cake is awesome. I baked it yesterday and still the texture was perfect this morning, it was not dry or anything, so fluffy and moist! When tasting the raw dough I feared it would be too sweet but once baked, it was perfect. Definitely one of the most delicious cake I ever baked. Liv, thank you so much for this recipe!
I don’t see the chocolate chips in the ingredients list, so I am unsure how much to add. If someone could tell me, I’d appreciate it! Thanks!
sorry! I just added it. You can do however much you want but I did 1/2 cup 🙂
Thanks so much, Liv! I enjoy all your content and appreciate your hard work. Just made this bread and it’s AMAZING!! Thank you!
Can I use almond or coconut flour?
almond possibly, but definitely not coconut!!!
Loved it! Super moist and fluffy even though I baked it too long.
Hi! Can I use more banana instead of butter? And Can I sub the sugar for maple syrup? 🙂
I made this yesterday since I had some browned bananas to use up and this turned out absolutely delicious! It’s soft and moist, and the perfect chocolatey taste but not overly sweet. There’s a mix of the chocolate and banana so the banana isn’t overpowering. This is there first time I’ve had chocolate banana bread and it tasted super good. I’ll definitely be making this again. I made it using chia seed and water instead of a flax egg since I don’t like the aftertaste of flaxseeds that comes with the flax egg when I bake, and the chia seed egg alternative worked perfectly! There was an occasional crunch when I bit into a chia seed but it was barely noticeable and there wasn’t any aftertaste since chia seeds don’t have any flavor. Also I made this into muffins and it made 16 muffins and I filled the tins mostly full to the top for baking. Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ll definitely be saving this for future use!