I

Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso Latte

Hello and happy Thursday! If you need some pep in your step today, I have just the thing for you: An Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Espresso Latte! Sp here’s a little story for you. The other day I saw a Tik Tok video of a girl who works at Starbucks making their new drink – a brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso – which supposedly launches in 2 weeks. Well, I got way too excited and decided I need the drink NOW. So, I hopped into the kitchen and got to work. Homemade brown sugar syrup? Check. Shaken espresso? Now that I know what that is, check. Oat milk? Always check. Always have oat milk in this house!

Basically, this drink is what dreams are made of. The brown sugar syrup is super easy and not only contains all that delicious brown sugar flavour, there’s also vanilla and cinnamon in there. Also, don’t let the fancy name scare you. Shaken espresso is literally just espresso with a few ice cubes, plus the syrup, shaken vigorously until foamy. Its pretty cool! Then, just add it all to your cup and top with oat milk. Thats it!

You can make a double batch or even quadruple batch of the syrup and just keep it in a jar in the fridge. That way you can make these all week and it will be faster than driving to your closest Starbucks! Now, I’m sure this recipe isn’t exact, as I haven’t actually tried the drink yet (patience is not my strong suit) but I can safely say this drink is GOOD. So go ahead and treat yourself today! Its almost Friday and this coffee will get ya through. Promise!

PLEASE NTOE: This post has been updated on March 23, 2021 to make the syrup recipe slightly more runny. I created this recipe before I tried the Starbucks version and a reader brought it to my attention that the syrup was thicker than Starbucks and after trying the Starbucks version, it I do agree. I simply updated the recipe to add more water and less cook time, resulting in a less thick syrup which is easier to work with in iced coffee drinks! Thanks for your support always! xo Liv

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares icon

Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso Latte

• Author: Liv B
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 15 mins
  • Yield: 2 lattes 1x

Description

Homemade brown sugar syrup with cinnamon and vanilla, espresso shaken with ice and its all topped with creamy oat milk.

Scale

Ingredients

Brown Sugar Syrup:

• 4 tbsp lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 6 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Lattes:

• 2 double shots of espresso
  • a mason jar or cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes
  • 2 glasses filled half way with ice
  • oat milk (as much as you need to top up the cup)

Instructions

1. In a small frying pan or pot on the stove, add the syrup ingredients and heat on medium-high, whisking to combine. Once it starts simmering, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until sugar has completely dissolved and syrup has thickened just slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  2. Brew two shots of espresso or about 1/2 cup of very strong coffee. Add to the mason jar with 3 tbsp of syrup and a few ice cubes and shake vigorously for about 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add some more ice to each glass. Divide the espresso mixture between the glasses. Add oat milk to top it up. Stir and enjoy!

1. Colin says:

This is so good! Mine had a lot more foam from shaking but still very tasty. Thanks for the recipe!

1. Tara says:

First found this a few weeks ago and have remade several times and am addicted! I prepare everything before hand and keep it in the fridge. I use protein shakers to mix the drink. I also keep the simple syrup in a shaker so I can mix it up well before making a coffee since the cinnamon tends to settle. Thanks for sharing.

1. Abby says:

YUM!!! I used strong coffee and almond milk and it was better than I had hoped! Can’t wait to try with espresso and oat milk next time.

1. Ashley says:

I tried the Sbux brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso and loved it, the first time. The following times after it just seemed to get more bitter and I stopped enjoying it as much. This is the perfect copy cat recipe, since I can make it how I want it. I still get the cinnamon but my own espresso makes it sweeter all together and it tastes less burnt than the “original,” at Sbux. Made a double batch to store some in the fridge, but it should be enough for just one more drink so I might do an even larger batch next time. Thank you for jumping on this copycat!!!!

1. Sara M says:

I love this drink from Starbucks but not the price. I don’t have an espresso machine, but have cold brew! Do you think it would work with cold brew? Super excited to try this!

2. Mnikesa says:

Thank you so much for this! I just found this drink and cannot believe how LITTLE actual “liquid” there is for the price. AND with the pandabear still in full effect I’m still quarantined—at least until I get my second shot due to my compromised immune system so it’s a whole thing to even order and get and decontaminate the drink so it’s safe. We have all of these ingredients here at home except the oat milk which I’m ordering now! Thank you!!!!🥰

2. Blaire says:

I’ll have to try again tomorrow. Can you clarify if the syrup should be shaken into the hot coffee first? I poured it over the cold coffee and it just congealed into a blob. I think it would work better mixed into the hot coffee before shaking in ice.

3. Autumn says:

This is an EXACT copy of the SB version!! I love this drink but not the price lol. I used a double shot of the timothys rainforest espresso and it came out perfect. Thank you so much!

1. Abby says:

This duplicate is so good!! I had it today except I used cold brew and didn’t divide the coffee into two cups lol. I had my mom try it and she said the starbucks one wasn’t as sweet as this one but I like my coffee sweet. So I love it.

1. Anastasia says:

This is so good. I made my syrup in the microwave for about 2 minutes. This drink is so delicious!

1. Calli says:

Was dying to try this drink, but no Starbucks close. I was so happy to find this recipe—it’s SO good. Thanks for sharing ❤️

2. Megan says:

I don’t usually leave reviews but this recipe was too good not to! I honestly prefer it over Starbucks now! I’ve just been using 8oz of blonde roast using a keruig instead of espresso and it’s still super good! I like being able to control the level of cinnamon because I feel like Starbucks adds too much sometimes. Overall this recipe is amazing and will save you a lot of money!

4. Penny says:

Wow! I just made this and I’m amazed. I had the SBUX version earlier this week and loved it but this is just as good, if not better. The only thing I’ll change next time is adding the syrup to the hot coffee, then shaking it. When I added it to the cold coffee, it took awhile to fully dissolve. Thanks for this great recipe!

5. Maggie Bolognini says:

LOVE!!!! Used half the syrup but I like my coffees less sweet. Was also great with almond milk. Anyone know how to store extra syrup?

6. Emily says:

Wow so good! If I want to make the brown sugar syrup into a larger batch, should I store on the counter or in fridge?

7. Amanda says:

Thank goodness for this recipe! As soon as I tried this at Starbucks I knew I was going to be in trouble. This tastes just like it and so easy to make! Thank you so much!

8. Tanya says:

: ) THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! (: Hours before, had just ordered a grande BSOMSE and left me craving…. another!! lol.. immediately went online and your recipe, PERFECTION btw, was the first one to pop up!! (made with homemade Oat Milk since only had Almond) : ) TASTE did not skip a beat!!!! this drink is in my rotation!! (:

9. Sarah says:

This is the bees knees. I have both had the drink from Starbucks and made this at home and they are both so scrumptious! I love the fact that this drink may literally even taste *better* since it’s made with love at home. Thank you so much for this recipe. A life saver!

10. Rebecca says:

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I very quickly, became addicted to this drink- I’m talking ordered it every single day for a solid week and at $6 a pop, it was getting out of control. Not to mention, the last 3 times I ordered it, it was awful! Not even close to what it originally tasted like, it was basically all espresso, no brown sugar/cinnamon or oat milk taste at all. So disappointed. Not sure if they changed the recipe (if it’s been so popular, why??), or if they ran out of ingredients and just used what the had- which is not OK. Thank you!

11. Tori says:

Great dupe for the Starbucks version 🙂 I like my homemade version even more since I can control the sweetness level easily, and I like my espresso beans more. Thanks for writing this up! 🙂

12. beefnuts says:

SO good!! Between me and 2 family members I’ve already spent well over $100 on this drink at Starbies 😬 Sometimes it’s delicious, other times it tastes so bitter or burnt that we can barely drink it. This is PERFECT and I can ensure it will be every time now at home! THANK YOU!!🥰

13. AJ says:

Wow! Been wanting to try the new Starbucks latte but each time I’ve been excited by a new drink I’ve been let down by the bitterness or cloying sweetness. But the idea of a brown sugar latte is right up my alley so I was thrilled to find your recipe! It’s the perfect amount of sweetness and combined with some cold brewed coffee is a lovely smooth morning drink. Thanks so much for this! It’s delicious!

14. Hannah says:

I woke up this morning determined to try this… it tastes super creamy and delicious, with just the right amount of sweetness. Next time I will add less cinnamon to my syrup.

15. Alicia says:

Hi! Super excited to try this, I’m wondering, what would you consider “strong coffee”? I have just regular coffee. Thanks!

1. Liv B says:

I do a double shot which is around 1/4 cup of espresso (approx) and about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of oat milk depending how full of ice my cup is! Changes day by day but I like milky coffee!

16. Ashlee says:

Don’t usually leave comments/reviews, but this was WAY too amazing not to. So easy, and better than Starbucks!! I split this recipes between two drinks, and keep it in the fridge in an airtight jar. I’ve shared this recipe with friends already, and they’re so excited to try it. I’ve never made a bad thing from a Liv B recipe 🥰

17. Cindy says:

Better than Starbucks! I made this today and it came out so good 🙂 I like the flavor of this brown sugar syrup better than the one they use. Great recipe!

18. Nellie B. says:

WOW. This is amazing! So foamy and frothy!

For feedback, it was a tad too sweet for me. I ended up doing 1.5 tbs of syrup, and added more cinnamon! I did see on the Starbucks website that the syrup has salt in it (last ingredient listed) so next time I make this, I will add a small pinch of salt as well.

19. Reese Young says:

So excited to try this!
    I work at Starbucks & am obsessed with the new Brown Sugar syrup. I love the shaken espresso drink but don’t like cinnamon, and most store-bought syrups are made with cinnamon! Definitely going to try your recipe to make the syrup!

20. Patti says:

I made this recipe with regular oatmilk and with extra creamy oatmilk. The extra creamy version was so much better than the standard oatmilk. Delicious!