This recipe is like hand held strawberry shortcake! In my family, we always made strawberry shortcake with tea biscuits (instead of angel food cake or pound cake). My mom would bake up a batch of sweet biscuits while I washed and mashed the strawberries (and added some sugar, of course). Then, all we had to do was whip the cream and voila! The perfect summer dessert.
I was craving strawberry shortcake this week as the weather has been warm, but I wanted to try a new take on it. I was thinking about my Fast & Fluffy No Rise Cinnamon Rolls from my first cookbook, and decided to combine the idea of those with the syrupy, sweet, strawberry filling of strawberry shortcake.
These rolls require no yeast, no rising and minimal time! Simply mix together the dough, mash the strawberries and heat on the stove with some sugar and cornstarch to help thicken them.
Then, roll out the dough into a rectangle and spread on the strawberry sauce. Then, roll up like cinnamon rolls and place each one in the cups of a muffin tin. Bake until golden on top, sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with a simple glaze. So easy, so tasty and perfect for spring and summer!Print
No-Rise Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Rolls
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 rolls
This recipe is like hand held strawberry shortcake. Flaky biscuit dough, rolled up with strawberry sauce and drizzled with a vanilla glaze.
Biscuit Roll Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp corn starch + 1 tbsp water
- powdered sugar, vegan whipped cream or a simple powdered sugar/milk glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a min tin.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the cold vegan butter with a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles sand. Pour in the nondairy milk and stir until it just forms a dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times, then roll out into a long rectangle 12 inches by 6 inches with the long side facing you.
- In a pot over medium heat, lightly mash the strawberries. Add the sugar, vanilla and corn starch/water mixture. Heat, mashing and stirring occasionally until thickened slightly. Let cool a few minutes.
- Spread a medium/thin layer of strawberry filling over the dough. You might not use all of it – if you want, you can save some to spoon over the finished rolls for extra strawberry flavour.
- Begin rolling up the dough like a jelly roll, tugging it up and over the filling and then picking the edge lightly to seal.
- Slice into 8 pieces and place each into a muffin cup. Bake in preheated oven for 15-16 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cook slightly before dusting with powdered sugar OR topping with a simple glaze or vegan whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes