Taking breakfast up a notch with these Ham, Cheese & Thyme Omelete-Stuffed Croissants! My vegan frittata batter (no eggs means even easier clean-up and allergen-friendly!) mixed with veggie ham (I used Yves brand, super easy to find at grocery stores), fresh thyme, onion and topped with your favourite dairy-free cheese. Then, its baked inside hollowed out croissants.
Now, I know what you’re thinking…
Where do I get vegan croissants?
I found vegan croissants at The Bread Lounge here in Halifax. To say I was excited is an understatement… I was absolutely giddy with excitement. Because they are SO good! If you don’t have a bakery that makes vegan croissants near by, don’t sweat it. You can substitute any similarly sized type of bread roll.
Is this recipe difficult?
These look so fancy, and honestly taste like a fancy restaurant brunch menu item. But they could not be any easier (or more fun!) to make! This is a great one to involve your kids with if they are into cooking. I always loved helping out in the kitchen when I was younger and this recipe would have been so extra special and fun to me!
Basically, you whisk together the batter and add in the ham, onion & thyme (or whatever mix-ins you want to use). Then, slice a thin slice off the top of the croissant, and hollow out the inside by carefully ripping chunks of the middle out. I pretty much just ate the middles as I went, haha!
Then, spoon the batter into the middles, top with cheese and bake! I was so happy with how well these turned out and I know you will love them too.Print
Ham, Cheese & Thyme Omelete-Stuffed Croissants
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
Vegan ham, cheese & thyme omelete, baked in croissants.
- 4 croissants or similar sized bread rolls
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 slices vegan ham (I used Yves), chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice a thin slice off the top of each croissant, then carefully hollow out the inside by gently ripping out chunks, making sure not to go all the way through and rip or cause a hole. Eat the middles! Yum.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and black pepper until combined. Add the water and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add in the veggie ham, onion and some of the fresh thyme and stir to combine.
- Evenly divide the batter between the hollowed out croissants with a spoon. Top- each with 2 tbsp vegan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.
- Place on prepared sheet pan and bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit a few minutes before serving.
Take it up a notch by drizzling with a chipotle aioli, I just made mine with blended cashews & a chipotle spice mix!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes