Finally, a vegan recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs with just the right texture!
PS: for more delicious recipes, check out my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget!Print
Vegan Meatballs (+ Spaghetti & Meatballs Recipe)
These meatballs are amazing! The texture is incredibly meaty and the flavour is on point! I love using them for spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs or even sweet and sour meatballs with rice!
- ¾ cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup almond flour (or other type of nuts, seeds like walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- ¾ cup gluten
- ¾ cup vegan beef broth
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp nooch
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook your lentils and measure out 3/4 cup cooked brown lentils (or if you are using canned lentils, simply measure out 3/4 cup.
- In a frying pan, cook onions and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until onions start to become translucent.
- To a food processor, add cooked onions, garlic, almond flour and lentils. Pulse until it becomes a paste consistency. It doesn’t have to be completely smooth, but it should be like a wet paste.
- Add to a bowl along with vital wheat gluten, herbs, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix with a spoon or your hands until it becomes a crumbly mixture. Add the broth and stir to form a dough.
- Use a tablespoon-size scoop and roll the dough into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove form oven, flip and bake another 15 minutes.
For spaghetti and meatballs:
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, drain and set aside. Cook meatballs in marinara sauce in a frying pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Top pasta with the meatballs and sauce. Enjoy!
Oh wow, it looks delicious! ♥
I’m a vegetarian, but I really want to transition to a vegan by the end of the year. Maybe you have some tips?
Hi Liv, Is there anything I could use instead of gluten?
The gluten is what really holds it together. Without it I think they would fall apart 🙁
Hi again 🙂 I bough gluten online to make these meatballs 😀 very excited to try these, should be ready within an hour- the meatballs are in the oven as we speak
You can try using tapioca flour, I usually add it if I want the things to hold together.
Hi! Do you think I could use another type of flour (non-nut/seed) for this recipe instead?
PS – your recipes are the best!
Hmm you mean instead of the almond flour? You could possibly try oat flour although I haven’t tested it myself so I have no idea what the results would be! <3 best of luck!!
Could you make these in batch and freeze them?
yes for sure 🙂
Just wanted to say that I’ve made these twice and can confirm they are great! Thanks for the recipe.
Do you have a good herby recipe for marinara sauce please. There are many around but I’m after the best!