This recipe is part of my new video series: The Coffee Shop Series – drinks and treats inspired by cafes. Each video contains a coffee or tea-based drink and a sweet treat that pair together perfectly! Don’t forget to try out the drink pairing for these berry crumble bars: a vanilla latte!
This recipe was adapted from this one by my good friend Hannah!
Berry Crumble Bars
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 bars
These berry crumble bars are an amazing way to use up any fresh berries or fruit you have lying around! Feel free to experiment with different combinations of flavours!
- 1–½ cups flour
- 1–½ cups oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 2 cups mixed berries (if using large berries like strawberries, make sure to chop them up)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- vegan white chocolate (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon until combined.
- Add melted vegan butter, maple syrup and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture. Firmly press the rest of the mixture into a parchment paper-lined square baking pan.
- Add mixed berries on top in an even layer and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, orange juice and corn starch.
- Add the reserved crumble mixture on top. Press down lightly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes until top is golden brown. Allow to cool 15 minutes before slicing and devouring.
- As an optional step, melt some vegan white chocolate and drizzle it overtop before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Can I use frozen berries?
Thank you so much for the recipe! I made it two times already 🙂 I used frozen berries and it worked out perfectly fine.
Nice thanks for the comment I was thinking of doing it with frozen one! Just a question, did you defrost them before putting in the oven or did you just put them on top straight out of the freezer ? 🙂
I would say if you don’t defrost them, but toss them in the cornstarch + some extra flour before putting them in the pan, it would keep them from getting too juicy. If you do defrost them first, just drain the extra juice so it doesn’t make the bars underneath all gooey :). Good luck! <3
Super delicious bars! My second batch is in the oven as I type! The first batch was gone within 24 hours because they’re so good.
How much cinnamon? It’s not listed in the ingredients.
1 tsp! Sorry about that!!
Hi Liv! I have your double chocolate cookies in the oven right now :). Could I leave out or substitute the orange juice? I don’t have any on hand
Very nice! I was a bit concerned it would taste like coconut since I only had unrefined coconut oil so I used half coconut oil and half canola. It still came out tasty (not tasting like coconut) I used an 8 by 8 square pan but found the base to be a bit thick so I’ll use a little larger one next time and add more fruit. Nice summer-y treat 🙂