Yeah you read that right. Savoury pumpkin Mac & cheese smooshed in between slices of buttery sage-speckled sourdough and more cheese (duh). If you have ever made my one-pot Mac & cheese you will be delighted to know that the recipe for this Mac is very similar! Its a one pot wonder, which means its so speedy and easy to make. You can make it just for this sandwich, or keep this sandwich recipe in your back pocket for the next time you have some leftover Mac & cheese!
To add extra sage flavour (because who doesn’t love sage) we butter the bread and then sprinkle finely chopped fresh sage on the outside so it gets crispy and fragrant. Delicious!Print
Pumpkin Sage Mac & Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices vegan cheese (I used this one)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- Make the pumpkin Mac & cheese. Set aside. If using leftovers you already had, skip this step.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Sprinkle some pieces of fresh sage on top of each buttered side of bread and press down lightly.
- Preheat a frying pan to low-medium heat. Add two slices of bread, buttered side down and add 1 slice of cheese to each. Using a spoon, add a few spoonfuls of Mac & cheese to each. Add another slice of cheese on top, and the remaining bread. Cook until golden on both sides. Low & slow is the best course of action here. Low(ish) heat so it doesn’t burn before the cheese melts.