Change up your banana bread game with this Healthy Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe! It is 100% dairy-free and no eggs required.
And there’s a sneaky ingredient, cornmeal! This banana bread is sort of like is banana bread and cornbread were combined into the perfect loaf. Moist, crumby, and just the right amount of dense without being too heavy. Enjoy it with a morning cup of tea (because it has no refined sugar and is higher in fibre!) or even as dessert, because you would never guess it is a healthier twist on the classic banana bread.
What does it taste like?
This blueberry banana bread is perfectly sweetened (naturally) with maple syrup or other liquid sweetener like date syrup or agave. There is a hint of vanilla, a hint of cinnamon, tart blueberries and rich dark chocolate. It is topped with crunchy almonds and pecans, but feel free to substitute any chopped nuts of your choice. Hazelnuts, walnuts and pistachios would be great too. Each slice is bursting with delicious flavour, but you can feel good about enjoying this treat as it is healthier than your classic banana bread!
Just simple ingredients:
This recipe uses simple, natural ingredients that you will definitely recognize!
- Ripe bananas (the riper they are, the sweeter your bread will be.)
- Maple syrup or other liquid sweetener like honey, date or agave syrup.
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Dark chocolate
- Chopped nuts
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I substitute for the coconut oil?
Olive oil or vegetable oil will give a similar result as coconut, without the hint of coconut flavour. You can also use applesauce or vegan yogurt. Your banana bread will still be moist but a little denser (and if using yogurt, a bit more tangy. You can also use melted vegan butter instead of oil.
Can I make it gluten-free?
Cornmeal is already gluten-free, so you can simply substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free baking blend. Just make sure to use a blend intended for baking so you get the best results.
How is it egg-free?
We use flax egg in this recipe which not only makes it vegan, but also adds fibre and healthy fats.
Can I substitute the blueberries?
Yes, simply substitute the same amount of a different berry like raspberry, blackberry or finely chopped strawberries.
The instructions couldn’t be more simple! You can find a how-to tutorial on my instagram.
Start by mashing the bananas and combining the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then, combine the dry ingredients and stir together with the wet. Fold in the blueberries and chocolate, then smooth the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Top with chopped nuts and bake in preheated oven for about an hour until golden brown and cracked on top. You can store leftover banana bread at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator up to 5 days.Print
Healthy Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
Change up your banana bread game with this Healthy Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe! It is 100% dairy-free and no eggs required. And there’s a sneaky ingredient, cornmeal!
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (or 1 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, honey, date syrup or agave
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (or sub more flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds and pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a (4.5 x 8.5 inch / 11.5 x 21.5 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the flax and water and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed banana, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. add the flax mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add to the wet and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and chocolate.
- Add batter to prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until deep golden brown and cracked on top. Alternatively, stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean or with a couple crumbs clinging (no wet batter) it is done.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes before removing from pan to slice and serve. It will be delicate when warm so be careful slicing!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
Just made this recipe and the bread turned out so good!! I have attempted to make banana bread before and they all were very dense. This one was so moist and soft. I used 3 bananas instead of 2 and opted out the blueberries.