Today we are making this decadent, fudgy and rich brownie cake with a silky, velvety smooth chocolate ganache! A few weeks ago I got in a cake mood and baked the blood orange & vanilla cake, coffee flavour cake with chocolate buttercream, and this brownie cake. I had to wait a while to post this one because I didn’t want to overload the blog with cake. But, its time.
It was just a long weekend here in Canada and the weather is finally looking warm and sunny for this week, so I have all the summer recipe ideas on my mind. But, you really can never go wrong with a rich chocolate brownie cake, right?
I decorated this one with shredded coconut and chocolate shavings (literally just use a vegetable peeler to shave off pieces of a chocolate bar… so pretty but so easy!) but you can decorate yours however you like! I love pouring the ganache overtop right before serving because then its like a silky chocolate river pouring out when you cut the first slice. Kind of like a giant chocolate lava cake. I am in chocolate heaven!
Vegan Brownie Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Total Time: 2.5 hours (including cooling time)
- Yield: 8 slices
A rich, decadent brownie cake with silky smooth coconut-based chocolate ganache.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 10-inch springform cake pan with parchment, or grease and flour it well so the cake doesn’t stick.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter sugar, non-dairy milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined, a few small lumps throughout are okay.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for 42 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it. Set on a wire rack to cool in the pan before attempting to remove.
- Meanwhile, in a pot on the stove over low-medium heat, add the coconut milk and heat until hot but not boiling. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips, stirring until fully melted and combined. Let sit off the heat until ready to use.
- Once cake is cool and you are ready to serve, remove from the cake pan and place on a serving plate. Pour the ganache over the cake, then slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 42 minutes
What brand of coconut milk do you use and is it canned? I never have great luck with canned coconut milk.
I use the brand Grace! I always have good luck with it! Its in a turquoise can with white writing I believe 🙂
I made this and it turned out great! I love it and would make it again. I didn’t refrigerate the leftovers overnight and they still seem fine.
I know I’m very late to the comments but I used Thai Kitchen brand full fat coconut milk, just scooped the heavy cream from the top and it was a whole cup. Worked out great.
One more thing; mine was not as dark in color. Did you use Dutch cocoa powder? I used regular.