This recipe for Vegan Everything Bagel Bread is a veganized and halved recipe that I found on tik tok (from Steph Pappas!) and it is sooooo great! Making bagels from scratch seems a bit time consuming (shaping each one, etc) but making bagel bread seemed right up my alley and easy enough. And this recipe is so easy! It tastes just like an everything bagel but you slice it like bread.
Fluffy, with a chewy exterior, just like bagels. The secret is in the soft dough, which rises to create that amazing fluffy texture, and then the dough is boiled in baking soda which gives it that chewy crust and helps it brown beautifully in the oven.
How to enjoy it? Well, just like you would a bagel OR bread. It’s both! It is amazing toasted with vegan cream cheese. Greg has used it for a breakfast sandwich and so much more!
Watch the video tutorial here.
Everything Bagel Bread
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
Tastes like an everything bagel, but can be used like bread! So delicious!
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water (about 105 F)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups flour (if you use bread flour you’ll need closer to 2 1/2 cups and all purpose closer to 3 cups)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- everything bagel seasoning (recipe here) as much as you like, I do a few tbsp to coat the top of the bread
- Combine warm water and yeast and let sit 5 minutes. Add to stand mixer bowl with sugar and salt. Add the flour and knead about 5 minutes in stand mixer until not sticky to the touch.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Then shape into a greased loaf pan and rise another 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbsp baking soda. Boil the dough for 1 minute, then flip and boil on the other side for 1 minute.
- Remove from pot and let the water drip off, then add back into loaf pan. Cut a few slits in the top for steam. Sprinkle on everything bagel seasoning to coat the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until browned on top. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
So excited to make this bagel bread to take considering how much I love your regular bagel recipe! Question about storing it though–i have to make it a few days in advance before actually eating it, what’s the best way to make it last? Not sure i want to freeze it
Hmm you can just store it in a bread bag however you normally store bread or bagels! I often pre slice and then freeze it and just toast from frozen!
Can I make this without a stand mixer?
yes, it will just take longer to knead 🙂
Hi! Looks SO good, question… can I do the second rise overnight in the fridge possibly? I wanna make this tonight but it’s already 9 o’clock lol. If so should I change anything?