Welcome to the best-ever and easiest-ever strawberry rhubarb crisp. The recipe that is so simple and forgiving, you literally can’t mess it up! For anyone who is afraid of baking or isn’t a super avid baker, you definitely need to know how to make this easy and classic summer dessert.
A crisp is a fruit-based dessert with a crispy oat topping. Its buttery, crisp-yet-chewy, sweet, and perfect with a scoop of vanilla coconut milk ice cream.
I did a mix of fresh rhubarb and strawberries as they are in season right now and going to become even more abundantly available very soon, but you can use any berries or stone fruit, as well as apple! Simply sub the same volume of fruit for the strawberries and rhubarb. Its nice to change up the fruit throughout the summer with whatever is looking best at the markets!
And, if you’re more of a cobbler person, check out this berry cobbler recipe or double-topped peach cobbler!Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Gluten-free Option)
- Total Time: 1 hour (including cooling)
- Yield: 4-6 servings
Sweet and a little tangy strawberry & rhubarb, topped with a crispy, yet chewy, buttery crisp topping.
- 5 stalks rhubarb (NO LEAVES)/ about 3 cups chopped
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/4 cups oats (use gluten-free certified if gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (use a GF baking blend if gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 375 F. You will need an oven-safe baking dish such as an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan, a small casserole dish, or even a few ramekins (for single servings).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the fruit, white sugar and corn starch and toss gently to coat. Pour into baking dish.
- In that same mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon and brown sugar until combined. Add the vegan butter and use a pastry blender, side of a spoon, or two knives to incorporate the butter into a crumbly mixture with the dry ingredients. It will be uneven and lumpy, but that’s okay. You can also use your hands to break apart any large lumps. Some variation is okay though.
- Pour the crisp topping over the fruit in an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until crisp and golden on top. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with vegan whip or vanilla coconut milk ice cream. Store leftovers in a container in the fridge up to 4 days, and reheat in the microwave (or oven, if you want to re-crisp the topping).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes