This Vegan Cinnamon Loaf Cake tastes just like coffee cake! It’s a gorgeous, coffee shop worthy loaf complete with a gooey cinnamon sugar layer and a crunchy vegan streusel topping. Pair with your morning latte or favorite cup of tea.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- An easy baked good for sharing – I’ve shared this cinnamon loaf cake with friends and families several times and it’s always a hit! If you’re looking for an easy vegan recipe that is easy to share with vegans and non-vegans, everyone will love this cinnamon coffee cake.
- Made with pantry staples – While this loaf cake looks incredibly impressive, it’s easier to make than it may look! It comes together with just 10 simple ingredients – homemade streusel mixture included!
- No fancy kitchen appliances required – Many baked goods start by creaming butter and sugar with a stand mixer or electric mixer. The only thing you need to make this easy cinnamon cake is a simple mixing bowl and a rubber spatula.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Non-dairy milk – A creamy, unsweetened plant milk is best. By mixing it with a tablespoon of vinegar, it will interact with the baking soda and help this vegan cake rise. This is incredibly important since this vegan recipe contains no eggs!
- Sugar – In order to keep the cake neutral tasting and light in color, white sugar is the best choice. Save the brown sugar for making the cinnamon sugar swirl and vegan streusel.
- Oil – Similar to the sugar, using a neutral, light tasting oil is best. I typically use canola oil or vegetable oil, but you can also use melted butter or coconut oil if you don’t mind a hint of coconut in your coffee cake.
- Flour – I recommend all-purpose flour for the lightest, fluffiest cake. If you don’t mind a slightly denser cake, you can use half whole wheat flour.
- Cinnamon – An essential for the best vegan streusel and cinnamon sugar center. Don’t skimp here!
How to Make Vegan Cinnamon Loaf Cake
- Make the vegan butter milk. In a small bowl, combine the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Stir to combine, then set aside to curdle.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the cane sugar, oil, vanilla extract and milk mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, stir to form the cinnamon loaf cake batter.
- Pour half of the batter into a prepared pan. Using wet or greased fingers, smooth the cake batter until even and smooth in the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar. Combine the 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl, then sprinkle it generously over the bottom half of the batter. This will end up being the center of the cake.
- Add the remaining batter. Spread the remaining cake batter on top of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Again, spread this batter smooth and even using wet or greased fingers.
- Make the vegan streusel topping. In a separate small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the vegan butter and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- Top the loaf with streusel. Pour the vegan streusel topping on top of the cinnamon loaf cake, pressing it down slightly to make it stick.
- Bake! Bake this vegan cinnamon loaf cake for 42-45 minutes, or until the streusel topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely, then slice and serve. Allow the vegan cinnamon loaf cake to cool completely in the loaf tin before removing, slicing, and serving. Enjoy!
Ideas for Serving
This cinnamon loaf cake makes the perfect sweet breakfast or simple dessert. It’s perfect for sharing – it’s a great recipe to make if you’re hosting for the holidays or weekend brunch. Enjoy a slice of this cake with a side of fresh fruit and your favorite morning coffee.
How to Store
Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for up to 1 week. It can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To freeze, tightly wrap the cinnamon loaf cake in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer bag.
Thaw frozen loaf cake at room temperature until soft again, and enjoy!
Is loaf cake the same as pound cake?
Although these two desserts are quite similar, they are slightly different. Pound cake is typically more dense and richer from the additional fat and butter. If you’re interested in trying a classic pound cake recipe, try my Lemon Pound Cake with Vanilla Glaze.
Can I make this loaf cake gluten-free?
I have not personally tested it, but a few readers have shared success replacing the wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. This can slightly change the texture of course, but it is the best way to make this dessert gluten-free.
How do I keep my cake from sticking to the loaf tin?
Grease the loaf tin with oil, vegan butter, or cooking spray or, lay a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. If your cakes tend to stick to your pans, this is the best route as it ensures absolutely no sticking!
Similar Vegan Dessert Recipes to Try Next
- Healthy Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Bagel Bread
- Vegan 2-in-One Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Coffee Cake
- Vegan Coffee Cake
- Vegan Banana Biscoff White Chocolate Cloud Cake