This Vegan Big Mac Sauce is the easiest and closest thing to the classic Big Mac sauce. All you need is 8 accessible ingredients and a few minutes to make. It’s so unbelievably delicious, you’re going to want to prep a big batch on Sunday and add it to everything.
Why You’ll Love This Sauce
- Made with pantry staples. This Big Mac sauce is made using 8 simple ingredients and if you cook often, I’d guess you have everything you need on hand already.
- Versatile. Spread this savory vegan sauce on your bottom bun, use it as a dip, or drizzle it on a side salad. Check our serving suggestions below for even more ideas. Long story short – you won’t have trouble figuring out how to use this sauce.
- No appliances necessary. Many vegan sauces start with blending cashews or using a food processor to combine, but not this sauce. All you need is a small bowl and a whisk.
- Vegan mayo – I always use store-bought because it’s quick, easy, and versatile in any vegan kitchen. If preferred, you can make your own homemade vegan mayonnaise. Try this aquafaba based mayo or this more classic vegan mayonnaise recipe.
- Relish – Either a store-bought Sweet Dill Relish or finely diced dill pickles work well here. If you love the flavor of pickles, you can add a small splash of pickle juice to taste.
- BBQ sauce – Most vegan BBQ sauces are naturally vegan, but double check for dairy ingredients. If you love a sweeter condiment, feel free to add additional BBQ sauce to taste.
- Yellow mustard – Adds tanginess that balances the sweetness of the BBQ sauce. I prefer the brightness of yellow mustard, but if you want a spicier vegan Big Mac sauce, use dijon mustard.
- Vinegar – Replicates the flavor in the classic French dressing. I used white vinegar, but apple cider vinegar is another good option.
How to Make Vegan Big Mac Sauce
- Whisk the ingredients together. In a small mixing bowl or glass jar, whisk together all sauce ingredients until smooth and well combined.
- Chill then serve. Tightly cover the sauce using reusable wrap, plastic wrap, or a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until chilled, or until ready to use. Serve immediately as desired.
What to Serve Big Mac Sauce On
This iconic sauce goes well on just about everything. From the Best Vegan Copycat Big Mac Recipe, Big Mac Toast, Vegan Big Mac Bombs, or these Vegan Big Mac Stuffed Soft Pretzels, the options are really endless.
You can even get creative and use it on your next veggie burger, Beyond Burgers, or sandwiches, like this Vegan Cajun Mac “Chicken” Sandwich. Or, try it with potato wedges or Vegan Animal-Style Curly Fries, or smothered on your favorite breakfast foods like this Vegan Inside-Out Bagel Bread Breakfast Sandwich.
How to Store
This homemade sauce will keep for up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container. As written, this sauce will make up to 6 servings. Depending on how large your family is or how often you’d like to use this sauce throughout the week, consider doubling or tripling the recipe.
Is McDonald’s Big Mac sauce recipe vegan?
McDonald’s real Big Mac sauce is dairy free, but it is not vegan. Big Mac sauce is mayonnaise based and classic mayonnaise contains eggs. In order to enjoy a vegan version, you’ve got to whip it up yourself with a few ingredients at home.
Is Big Mac sauce the same as Thousand Island dressing?
While similar, these two condiments are not the same. While we do not know the exact recipe for actual Big Mac sauce, we do know that it typically contains French dressing whereas Thousand Island dressing contains ketchup. This means that Big Mac Sauce is typically on the tangier side whereas Thousand Island is sweeter.
What was the original name of the Big Mac sauce?
According to the McDonald’s website, Big Mac sauce was originally called McDonald’s Special Sauce. Read about the History of Big Mac Sauce for more information!
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan special sauce copycat is gluten-free as is. If you are celiac or gluten intolerant, make sure to use a safe mayonnaise and BBQ sauce that does not have any possible cross contamination.
More Vegan Copycat Recipes to Try Next
- Vegan Queso (Chipotle Copycat Queso Blanco)
- Copycat Taco Bell Nacho Fries (Vegan)
- Vegan Fuego Chicken Strips with Chick-Fil-A-Sauce
- The Best Copycat McDonald’s Hash Browns Recipe
- How to Make Copycat Hardee’s Biscuits