This Air Fryer Garlic Bread is a weeknight dinner game-changer! It’s the thickest, butteriest, and quickest garlic toast recipe I’ve come up with. Have this perfect side dish ready in 15 minutes or less!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Texas toast style garlic bread. This air fryer garlic bread is twice as thick as traditional garlic bread and is essentially my homemade take on vegan Texas Toast. As much as I love our classic vegan garlic bread recipe, there’s something special about this twist on the expected garlic bread.
- Easy to make for a crowd. As written, this recipe makes 2 individual slices of crispy garlic bread, but double, triple, or quadruple the recipe to make as many as you need to feed your crowd.
- Optional oven method. If you don’t have an air fryer or are making a large batch, you can use the optional oven method. It makes the buttery garlic bread equally as crispy and delicious and is the next best preparation method.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Bread – Choosing the right bread is arguably the most important part when making air fryer garlic bread and for this recipe, I highly recommend a loaf of bread you can cut into really thick slices. Breads like an Italian loaf, french bread loaf or sourdough bread loaf will work the best. Pre-sliced sandwich bread is better reserved for recipes like this Vegan French Toast or a Crispy Tofu & Veggie Sandwich.
- Butter – I like to use vegan butter or vegan margarine because it adds a nice savouriness, but if needed, you can also use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead.
- Garlic – For the best flavour, I highly recommend using fresh garlic over garlic powder or garlic salt. The flavour is unmatched and takes any quick garlic bread to the next level.
- Dried basil – Adds a bit of extra aromatic flavour. You can also use other Italian seasonings like dried parsley, dried oregano, or a blend of a few.
How to Make Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Slice the bread. Cut thick pieces of bread off of the loaf, about 2-2.5 inches wide.
- Make the garlic butter mixture. In a small, microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the butter, dried basil, salt, and minced garlic. Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until the butter is completely melted.
- Butter the bread. Lather each slice of bread with the garlic butter on both sides.
- Air fry. Place the garlic bread in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the edges. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve. Immediately remove from the heat and enjoy while warm with your favourite dishes and fresh parsley, if desired.
Ideas for Serving
You probably won’t have any trouble figuring out how best to serve this homemade garlic bread, but if you’re looking for new dinner ideas, here are some of our favourites to make to pair with garlic bread.
- Pasta dishes: Vegan Spaghetti and Meatballs, Red Wine Angel Pasta, Vegan Single Serve Chili Cheese Pasta, Spicy Lemon Dill Rigatoni or this Vegan Buttery No-Chicken Pasta.
- Soups: Meatball and Dumpling Soup, Corn, Zucchini & Thyme Summer Soup, One-Pot Lentil, Quinoa & Sausage Soup, Hearty Vegan Sausage Soup, and Butternut Squash Soup.
- Italian-inspired dishes: Chick’n Parm, Cheesy Baked Skillet Lasagna Roll-Ups, this Vegan Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed Shells by Rainbow Plant Life, or this Balsamic-Tomato Cheesy Garlic Bread.
How to Store
Leftover garlic bread will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you’re going to eat the leftovers within 24 hours, it can also be kept at room temperature on the kitchen counter wrapped in aluminum foil.
If needed or preferred, you can also store leftovers in the freezer. Allow the air fried garlic bread to cool completely to room temperature, then wrap the slices in plastic wrap. Place all the slices together in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to reheat, reheat refrigerated or frozen garlic bread in the air fryer until warm and crispy again.
Can I bake this garlic bread?
Yes! If you do not have an air fryer or want to make several slices at once, place the garlic bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden and crispy on the edges.
Can I put frozen garlic bread in the air fryer?
You can air fry this garlic bread from frozen. Place the frozen garlic bread directly in the air fryer basket and cook for the same amount of time, or until warm and crispy.
Is all bread vegan?
All bread is not vegan, but for the most part, most store-bought bread is vegan-friendly. With that being said, I always recommend checking the labels for non-vegan ingredients. To be on the safe side, I always recommend using sourdough or a baguette as a truly dairy-free or egg-free option.
Can I make this garlic bread cheesy?
If you’re looking for an air fryer cheesy garlic bread, simply make the bread as recommended, then sprinkle with your favourite cheese once added to the air fryer basket and cook until crispy and the cheese melts. I’d recommend vegan parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese shreds, but you can even use cheddar cheese, if desired.
How many pieces of garlic bread will fit in the air fryer?
This will depend on the size of your air fryer and the size of your bread. If you have a basket-style air fryer, you will probably be able to fit anywhere from 2-4 slices. An air fryer with a larger tray could likely fit 4-6 pieces. If you need to make a lot of garlic bread at once, use the oven method.
Similar Savoury Side Dishes to Try Next:
- Vegan Copycat Little Caesar’s Crazy Bread
- Everything Bagel Bread
- Soft & Buttery Vegan Cornbread Loaf
- Vegan Buttery Beer Bread
- Cheezy Pull-Apart Bread
- Easy 1 Bite Everything Bagels
If you like the looks of this recipe and give it a try, hit us with a review and comment below with your thoughts. And be sure to follow us on Instagram @gresgvegangourmet & @itslivb for daily food videos!Print